Future of Fuels Overview
Commercial freight transportation is at the cusp of a transition. Energy supply is changing with new fuels entering the market, increased cost volatility, and questions about the impacts of fuel. Yet low-carbon energy for commercial freight is in short supply and technological barriers to their adoption are daunting. Furthermore, mixed and competing claims obscure clarity on the sustainability of fuel choices. Credible, fuel-neutral analysis and solutions are needed to drive transition sustainably.
Our mission is to build demand and promote adoption of clean energy technology for trucking. We focus the efforts of leaders across the value chain to identify common challenges and foster progress on sustainable energy sources for vehicles with technology-neutral solutions including insights, tools, and events.
- We created a Case Study Library , allowing companies to share data and feedback on low-emission fuel technologies in a standardized format.
- We developed the Sustainable Fuel Buyers’ Principles , uniting buyers and shippers around requirements to accelerate the transition
- We developed a fuel sustainability tool (Fuel Tool) for fleet owners to identify sustainable, low-carbon fuels
- We published a comprehensive study on “ The Sustainability Impacts of Fuel ” and “ Fuel Sustainability Briefs ” (2015)
- We created a “ Roadmap for Sustainable Fuel ” Guide to transition to low-carbon fuel (2014)
How We Work
- Development and use of Fuel Sustainability Tool
- Development of Case Studies
- Support for Sustainable Fuel Buyers’ Principles
- Three in-person meetings per year
- Quarterly member calls
We are a business- to-business initiative working with our member companies to accelerate the adoption of low-carbon fuels. Our members:
- Network and engage with peers to share best practices and address common challenges
- Collaborate with value chain partners to increase availability, and facilitate uptake of sustainable fuels
- Empower corporate teams to identify and evaluate viable alternative fuel options