Ok. This is a picture-perfect bowl of oats that I will likely never duplicate, but wow. Look at those sprinkles.
Let’s get to the real question. Why add egg whites to oats? Is it gross? Can you taste them?
When I heard of egg white oatmeal, I thought the same thing. Like, eggs and oats should not be mixed. But alas. Adding egg whites just makes oatmeal super fluffy, softer, and way more filling. Also, it’s just good to add more protein when we can because runners don’t get enough (I’m making a huge generalization here based on the protein consumption of myself and mostly all other runners I know…).
I went through a huge oatmeal phase in college where it’s all I had for breakfast. It was delicious and sweet and lots of good carbs to fuel running… and then I’d be hungry in like an hour. Adding protein (and nut butter) makes it filling for much longer. AND this breakfast takes exactly 5 minutes to make!
- ½ cup quick oats (or rolled oats, just have to cook longer)
- ½ cup egg whites (you can really add as much or little as you want)
- ½ tbsp maple syrup
- Berries, bananas, chia seeds, whatever toppings you like!
- ¾ cup water or milk of any kind
- Add ½ cup oats to a bowl and cover with water or almond milk (about ¾ cup)
- Microwave for 1 minute
- Add egg whites and stir
- Microwave for 1 minute. If they are not done, microwave in increments of 30 seconds until they are.
- Watch carefully so they don't explode all over your microwave
- Top with berries, banana, nut butter, sprinkles, etc.